The Newburgh Lyceum is a forum for citizens concerned about the quality of life in Newburgh, NY to share ideas and work work together to create positive change. Membership is open to all. Contact NewburghLyceum@gmail.com.

Monday, May 10, 2010

Meet the Board of Education Candidates Event May 8, 2010

On Saturday, May 8, 2010, the Newburgh Lyceum co-sponsored a "Meet the Board of Education Candidates" event with Mothers and Others for a Better Newburgh. 

8 candidates for 3 spots -- election day May 18, 2010!

There are eight candidates running for three openings on the board.  The candidates are Stephen Bedetti, Grace Bowles (incumbent), Mark Levinstein, Runston Lewis, Judith McAfee (incumbent), Eric Motley, Susan Prokosch, and Thomas Woodhull (incumbent.)  Seven of the eight candidates participated in the event; Stephen Bedetti had a prior commitment, but provided written answers to the questions.

Many excellent questions were submitted in advance.  From these, we tried to pick the dominant themes of concern.  The five questions asked, including video of the candidates answering, is posted below.  (Deep apologies for the visual quality of the video, which was distorted due to technical difficulties. However, the audio is quite clear.) MANY VIDEOS OF ANSWERS - SCROLL DOWN TO SEE ALL.

1) Introduction: Why do you want to be a Board of Education member?  What do you hope to accomplish for the good of the school district?

Grace Bowles, Mark Levinstein, and Runston Lewis:


Judith McAfee, Eric Motley, Sue Prokosch, and Tom Woodhull:


Stephen Bedetti: (not on video, but provided the following text) I would like to tell you a little about myself, I live in the Town of New Windsor, where I was born and raised, with my wife Amy and daughter Mandie. I am employed by the Town of New Windsor Police Department as a Communications Supervisor. I have worked there for 22 years. I also hold the position of President of my Union, Local 836 Unit 7917. I have been a part time Police Officer with the Town of Cornwall Police Department since 1999 and I am an active 26 year member of the Vails Gate Volunteer Company where I presently, and for the last ten years held the position of President. I am a 1987 graduate of Newburgh Free Academy. I am involved in several community groups such as: The New Windsor Youth Football, The New Windsor Recreation Committee. I am an Umpire for New Windsor Little League and I serve on the New Windsor Republican Committee.

I want to be a Board of Education member because I’m worried about the quality of education that my daughter and other kids are getting as well as the safety of our kids inside the schools. I would like to see smaller class sizes and higher academic standards. But my motivation is to improve education and school safety. These visions that I have outlined are just the beginning of visions that I would like to attain while a school board member. Most people who run for a school board position have one or two burning issues they want to address. I have several other issues I would like to address and accomplish aside from the ones mentioned above. Having better relations and interaction of board members with each school on a daily basis as well as having better Board Member, Superintendent and employee relations. I hope to accomplish all of these visions by allowing and considering the viewpoints of teachers, administrators, school district employees, community members and students in developing and implementing change for the present and the future.


2) According to New York State school report cards, students in our district are not making adequate yearly progress in some areas, and the high school graduation rate is disappointing.  As a board member how would you work to improve academic achievement?


Mark Levinstein, Runston Lewis, and Judith McAfee:


Eric Motley, Sue Prokosch, Tom Woodhull and Grace Bowles:


Stephen Bedetti: (not on video, but provided the following text) To achieve this vision we must establish a structure and create an environment that will ensure for ALL students the opportunity to attain their maximum potential. We must create networks of support that assist students at risk of dropping out of school and incorporate models of resources for improvement, such as professional development for teachers, students and other school staff. We must improve academic outcomes for all secondary school students such as strengthening and enriching the secondary school curriculum by engaging students in academic work that they perceive as meaningful and motivating. The curriculum should incorporate and promote activities such as internship, community service and service learning. Funding plays a necessary and significant role in this type of school reform. Afterschool programs also makes a huge difference in Academic Achievement, keeping kids safe and helping working families. Also, by limiting summer school programs I feel that the high school graduation rate will decline even greater and become a bigger disappointment. I realize that funding is a big issue and I feel that with an in depth look into our schools budget room can be made with the current funds without being a burden to our taxpayers.

3) Youth violence is a serious issue in the community, and school district students have been affected.  As a board member, what would you do to address this issue in the schools and in the broader community?

Runston Lewis, Judith McAfee and Eric Motley:


Sue Prokosch, Tom Woodhull, Grace Bowles and Mark Levinstein:


Stephen Bedetti:(not on video, but provided the following text) This issue is dear to my heart due to my law enforcement background. First I would address the security staffing levels in our schools to determine if adequate staff is being provided by the school district. In recent visits to several schools I have encountered several good security procedures. However, I feel that there are also several deficiencies that must be addressed. After talking to some school employees, in my recent visits, it’s apparent that the security staff in most schools are grossly understaffed. I would start by speaking with the person in charge of Security and have them come up with a comprehensive plan to adequately staff, operate and ensure the safety of our students, employees and visitors in all of our schools. I would then have the uniformed police assigned to the various schools in our School District take a more active role rather then in some cases a stationary patrol in a vehicle which does our kids and employees no good. I feel that one of the biggest challenges today in reference to the youth violence is coming from the streets and being brought into the schools rather then starting here in our schools. I feel that the school board needs to be more active with City, State and Local boards to come up with some sort of plan to educate these kids on the streets prior to them coming into our schools rather then spending countless hours on negotiating the price to be paid for veteran officers in our schools. One suggestion would be that the parents of unruly children accept greater responsibility for their children’s behavior. If unruly kids knew that their parents would have to share in the consequences or their behavior they may think twice about how they act. This school district cannot afford to lose staff members through retirement and layoffs and not expect the safety and education of our students not to be compromised.


4) With the economic downturn, the unemployment rate is high and housing prices have declined.  Many are suffering economic hardship and many are increasingly concerned about property taxes.  How should these issues affect the decisions the School Board makes?

Judith McAfee, Eric Motley and Sue Prokosch:


Tom Woodhull, Grace Bowles, Mark Levinstein, and Runston Lewis:


Stephen Bedetti:(not on video, but provided the following text)
Overall, we should try to keep expenses down. Any Capital costs (remodeling or new buildings) has to be evaluated. Is it needed right now? Do we really need this? We have to keep in mind that the education of our children is not only good for the children’s future but also for the whole community. I feel local school boards need to pressure the state to fund education in a different way. The property tax method is outdated. I feel that business should play a larger part in supporting education. They will be the ones to benefit from the better educated employee.


5) Why should we vote for you?

Eric Motley, Sue Prokosch, Tom Woodhull:


Grace Bowles, Mark Levinstein, Runston Lewis, and Judith McAfee:


Stephen Bedetti:(not on video, but provided the following text)
I feel that you should vote for me because I have the tools, education and experience to do the job. I am willing to put countless hours in to any task at hand to get the job done. I am committed to provide the best possible public education for each student. I am a team player and I can work for the good of the entire community without being a single issue candidate. I am determined and fair minded and want to advocate for the children and I am willing to spend my time and effort to improve public education. I will be visionary and able to understand the focus of social change and to plan for the future. I have a sincere desire to serve the community. I will be responsive to the human needs of individual groups. I will listen for the real consensus and not confuse a few noisy voices with a majority feeling. I have the capability to learn and grow as I become aware of the responsibilities of one of the most important elected boards in our society.


The full video of the event is also available for download, or can be viewed below.

No comments:

Post a Comment